The Auckland Grammar School Road and Track Cycling squad, or the Grammar Hammer as it is known, is one of the most successful cycling squads in New Zealand. In 2022, the squad were National School Champions – a title it has held 23 times in the event’s short history.
Riders both past and present have represented New Zealand and some have enjoyed Commonwealth and Olympic success. This enables us to draw on a huge wealth of experience and knowledge that fast tracks the progress and development of our cyclists. Aside from success, many riders enjoy participating in the squad for social and fitness purposes.
New members of the squad will attend weekly Learn to Race sessions in Term 1. These sessions help them become comfortable racing in a group, learn group riding etiquette and develop their racing skills. Professional coaches run school training in Terms 2 and 3. Riders who are wanting to become the best will also train outside of these times.
Get in touch
The squad has a great inclusive and supportive culture and every rider is valued. Each rider will be placed into a team for the Team Time Trials based on their ability. If you have an interest in cycling and want to be part of a fun and exciting sport, we would love to hear from you. It is a great way to meet other boys and many great friendships have developed.
Any questions or queries should be directed to Master in Charge of Cycling J. Fry.
- Terms 2 and 3 (racing in Auckland, North Island and National competitions)
- Learn to Race sessions once a week in Term 1
- For those interested, there are learn to ride sessions for track cycling in Term 4
Registration: registrations are now open for students who wish to ride in the Cycling squad for 2024 – click here to register
Practice times: Twice weekly organised bike sessions plus 1 organised strength training gym session
- Subscriptions: $305 Juniors; $345 Seniors (based on 2023 pricing)
- Grammar skin suit for $260 plus a Grammar cycling high visibility vest for $110 (both available at the School Shop)
- Entry costs of race events plus accommodation and food (for events outside Auckland)
Equipment: Bike, helmet (suitable for road cycling), shoes, safety lights. A small number of loan bikes will be available to those riders who do not have access to a road bike
Race days: Fortnightly Sunday mornings (Team Time Trials). Summary of other race events (track events optional):
- North Island Schools Road Championships – first weekend of July holidays in Cambridge
- North Island Schools Track Championships – first week of July holidays in Cambridge
- Northern Tour – first weekend of September in Auckland
- National Schools Road Championships – end of Term 3
- National Schools Track Championships – odd years first week of July holidays in Cambridge, even years second week of October holidays in Invercargill
Click here to view the 2024 Cycling calendar; parents are encouraged to attend each event.
More detailed information can be found in the Cycling Guide Book. Click here to download it as a PDF document
Master in Charge: J. Fry. Students are able to speak to him in the Physics department during the School day or contact him via email.