Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


  • 1.

    How much is the School donation?

    The 2020 School donation is $1,350. This cost is adjusted annually to reflect the change in costs incurred by the School. Where a student is unable to accept his position at the start of the 2020 academic year, a full refund will be made.

  • 2.

    Does the School have an Open Day?

    No, there is no Open Day. However there is an Orientation Day in late November for boys entering Form 3 and their parents. Additionally the enrolment evening on Wednesday 21 October 2020 will provide an opportunity for boys and their parents to come to the School and meet the Executive and staff.

  • 3.

    Do you have scholarships for boys to attend the School?

    There are scholarships available to the school hostel, Tibbs House - please click here for more information. As a state school, all boys within our zone are entitled to enrol and we are not able to offer scholarship places to boys from out of zone unless they are in the school hostel.

  • 4.

    What are the 2020 Term dates?

    The dates for the 2020 academic year are as follows:

    Term 1 - 12 weeks:

    - Tuesday 22 January - Staff Only Day
    - Wednesday 23 January - School starts for all students
    - Monday 28 January - School closed (Auckland Anniversary Day)
    - Wednesday 6 February - School closed (Waitangi Day)
    - Friday 6 March - School closed (Staff Only Day)
    - Friday 10 April - Final day of Term 1. Good Friday, Easter Monday, Easter Tuesday and ANZAC Day will fall within the term break.

    Term 2 - 10 weeks:
    - Monday 27 April - School closed (ANZAC Day observed)
    - Monday 28 April - Term 2 starts
    - Monday 1 June - School closed (Queen's Birthday)
    - Friday 3 July - Final day of Term 2

    Term 3 - 10 weeks:
    - Monday 20 July - Term 3 starts
    - Thursday 3 September - School Closed (Mid-Term Break)
    - Friday 25 September - Final day of Term 3

    Term 4 - 8 weeks:

    - Monday 12 October - Term 4 starts
    - Monday 26 October - School closed (Labour Day Holiday)
    - Wednesday 3 December - Prizegiving and final day of Term 4

Back to top

In Zone Enrolments

  • 1.

    How long do we need to have lived in zone before making an application to enrol?

    There is no minimum time. However we do need evidence that you are living at the address i.e. the latest electricity and phone accounts. These are not usually available until at least a month after moving in to a new property so it is best to allow a minimum of a month.

  • 2.

    I have purchased a property and settlement takes place in 6 weeks. Can I apply to enrol now?

    We cannot process an application in advance on the basis of a signed tenancy or settlement. You must be resident at the enrolment address before making an application.

  • 3.

    My spouse and I are separated and only one of us lives within the school zone. Is my son entitled to enrol?

    This depends on where he spends the majority of his time while the school is open for instruction. In order to satisfy the school of this you need to supply a copy of the custody agreement or other legal documentation.

  • 4.

    Can my son live with his aunt / my friend / a homestay family in zone?

    No. Students can only live with their parent(s) or legal guardian.

  • 5.

    Are there plans to change the School zone?

    Neither the Ministry of Education nor the Board of Trustees has signalled any intention to change the School zone.

  • 6.

    How long do we have to remain living in the zone?

    It is the Board's expectation that the student will remain in zone for the duration of his schooling at Auckland Grammar School.

  • 7.

    What do we do if family circumstances force a move out of the zone?

    If you want your son to remain enrolled at the School you need to seek permission before moving out of the zone. The School considers all such applications on a case by case basis and in certain circumstances will allow boys to continue their schooling. Others will be advised that a move out of zone will jeopardise their son's continued enrolment.

Back to top

Out of Zone Enrolments

  • 1.

    What year levels will the ballot be open to?

    The ballot is open to all year levels. The number of places the Board can offer will depend on the number of in zone applications we receive.

  • 2.

    My son is a very strong academic / sportsman / musician. Will this give him preference over other boys for an Out of Zone place?

    No. The ballot is carried out under police supervision and is akin to a lottery or lucky dip.

  • 3.

    Do sons of Old Boys receive priority through the ballot?

    Yes. Legislation passed in 2010 allows for children of former students to receive priority in the Out of Zone ballot. This was first effective for the 2012 academic year. Further details re: priority categories are available by viewing the Enrolment Scheme.

  • 4.

    When will we hear the results of the ballot?

    The School will notify you in writing of your ranking on the ballot within a few days of the ballot taking place. The date of the ballot is set by the Ministry of Education and is usually in mid-September. Places will be offered at any time between then and the commencement of the next academic year as the number of in zone enrolments becomes clear.

  • 5.

    Can I apply for the Out of Zone ballot and Tibbs House?

    Yes, you can apply for both. Note that if you are only interested in securing a boarding place you don’t need to complete the Out of Zone application as well as the Tibbs House one.