Frequently Asked Questions – General
The dates for the 2023 academic year are as follows:
Term 1: Tuesday 24 January – Thursday 6 April
– Thursday 19 and Friday 20 January: Form 5-7 Option Change Day
– Friday 20 January: New Staff Induction Day / New Student Orientation Day
– Monday 23 January: Staff Only Day
– Tuesday 24 January: Term 1 starts
– Monday 30 January: School closed (Auckland Anniversary Day)
– Monday 6 February: School closed (Waitangi Day observed)
– Thursday 6 April: Final day of Term 1
Please note: Easter (Good Friday 7 April, Easter Monday 10 April and Easter Tuesday 11 April) and ANZAC Day (Tuesday 25 April) are in the School holidays. Term 2 will begin after the ANZAC Day holiday.
Term 2: Wednesday 26 April – Friday 30 June
– Wednesday 26 April: Term 2 starts
– Monday 5 June: School closed (Queen’s Birthday)
– Friday 30 June: Final day of Term 2
Please note: Matariki (Friday 14 July) is the last day of the School holidays.
Term 3: Monday 17 July – Friday 22 September
– Monday 17 July: Term 3 starts
– Thursday 31 August and Friday 1 September: School closed (Winter Tournament Week)
– Friday 22 September: Final day of Term 3
Term 4: Monday 9 October – Friday 1 December
– Monday 9 October: Term 4 starts
– Monday 23 October: School closed (Labour Day Holiday)
– Friday 1 December: Prizegiving assembly and final day of Term 4
The 2023 School donation is $1,625. This cost is adjusted annually to reflect the change in costs incurred by the School. Where a student is unable to accept his position at the start of the 2023 academic year, a full refund will be made.
If your son is absent, we ask you to immediately complete the Absence Notification e-form that is accessed within the Parent Portal on the day of his absence. This is a legal requirement and is part of our duty of care which we cannot fulfil without your co-operation.
Parents should log-in and click on the Absence Notification link under “Available e-Forms”, which is found within the Notifications section (see below):
You should be aware that submitting an e-form verifies your son’s absence. It is important that you do not disclose your Parent Portal login and password details to your son, to ensure the legitimacy of this functionality.
There is no requirement to phone the School nor to provide a written note to notify us of an absence.
If your son has more than three consecutive days off from school due to sickness, a medical certificate from his doctor must be provided on his return to campus.
Please ensure that your son attends School every day unless there is a genuine reason such as sickness or bereavement. The School does not support casual breaks during term time as such absences impact on the standard of education we can provide.
Please communicate with the Headmaster directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are requesting Official Leave for your son. Please note that no official leave is granted, other than for bereavements or national/international representative duties (where your son is representing New Zealand, or representing the School at a National Championships) for a variety of extracurricular activities sanctioned by the School.
Furthermore, no extended holiday leave is provided either prior to or after the official school holidays
No student is to leave the School grounds during school hours unless:
1) He has brought a note to the Deputy Headmaster on the front steps of the Main Block after assembly. He will then be provided with the appropriate approval slip, allowing him to formally sign out at the Student Office prior to leaving the campus; or
2) For medical reasons, whereby he must have permission from the Deputy Headmaster or from the School Nurse. In such cases, the School Nurse will contact his parents before he leaves the School grounds.
You are welcome to email your son’s Dean or alternatively phone:
Form 3 Dean – Mr Cuming on 09 623 5403
Form 4 Dean – Mr Gunson on 09 623 5404
Form 5 Dean – Mr Hare on 09 623 5405
Form 6 Dean – Mr Yeh on 09 623 5406
Form 7 Dean – Mr Hunter on 09 623 5407
Dean of International Students – Mr Easingwood on 09 623 5400 extn 557
You are welcome to email your son’s teacher/s or a member of the Student Services team. A list is available here.
Please call our School nurses on 09 623 5400 extension 637.