Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 2020 Term dates?
The dates for the 2020 academic year are as follows:
Term 1: Wednesday 23 January - Friday 12 April
- Monday 20 January: New Staff Induction Day
- Tuesday 21 January: Staff Only Day
- Wednesday 22 January: School and Term 1 starts
- Monday 27 January: School closed (Auckland Anniversary Day)
- Thursday 6 February: School closed (Waitangi Day)
- Friday 8 March: School closed (Staff Only Day)
- Thursday 9 April: Final day of Term 1
Please note: Good Friday (Friday 10 April), Easter Monday (Monday 13 April) and ANZAC Day (Saturday 25 April) - in the school Holidays.
Term 2: Tuesday 28 April - Friday 3 July
- Monday 27 April; School Closed (ANZAC day Observed)
- Tuesday 28 April: Term 2 starts
- Monday 1 June: School closed (Queen's Birthday)
- Friday 3 July: Final day of Term 2
Term 3: Monday 20 July - Friday 25 September
- Monday 20 July: Term 3 starts
- Thursday 3 and Fri 4 September: School Closed (Winter Tournament Week)
- Friday 25 September: Final day of Term 3
Term 4: Monday 12 October - Thursday 3 December
- Monday 12 October: Term 4 starts
- Monday 26 October: School closed (Labour Day Holiday)
- Thursday 3 December: Prizegiving assembly and final day of Term 4
What should I do if my son is absent from School?
If your son is absent, we ask you to immediately complete the Absence Notification e-form that is accessed within the Parent Portal on the day of his absence. This is a legal requirement and is part of our duty of care which we cannot fulfil without your co-operation.
Parents should log-in and click on the Absence Notification link under "Available e-Forms", which is found within the Notifications section (see below):
You should be aware that submitting an e-form verifies your son’s absence. It is important that you do not disclose your Parent Portal login and password details to your son, to ensure the legitimacy of this functionality.
There is no requirement to phone the School nor to provide a written note to notify us of an absence.
What should I do if I am wanting to request leave for my son to be absent during the School term time?
Please ensure that your son attends School every day unless there is a genuine reason such as sickness or bereavement. The School does not support casual breaks during term time as such absences impact on the standard of education we can provide. Please communicate with the Headmaster directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are requesting Official Leave for your son. Please note that no official leave is granted, other than for bereavements or national/international representative duties (where your son is representing New Zealand, or representing the School at a National Championships) for a variety of extra-curricular activities sanctioned by the School. Furthermore, no extended holiday leave is provided either prior to or after the official school holidays
What should I do if my son needs to leave the School grounds for an appointment during the School day?
No student is to leave the School grounds during school hours unless:
1) He has brought a note to the Deputy Headmaster on the front steps of the Main Block after assembly. He will then be provided with the appropriate approval slip, allowing him to formally sign out at the Student Office prior to leaving the campus; or
2) For medical reasons, whereby he must have permission from the Deputy Headmaster or from the School Nurse. In such cases, the School Nurse will contact his parents before he leaves the School grounds.
What should I do if I need to contact my son's Dean?
You are welcome to email your son's Dean or alternatively phone:
Form 3 Dean - Mr Lobb on 09 623 5403
Form 4 Dean - Mr Lowe on 09 623 5404
Form 5 Dean - Miss Potocky-Pacay on 09 623 5405
Form 6 Dean - Mr Yeh on 09 623 5406
Form 7 Dean - Mr Haszard on 09 623 5407
Dean of International Students - Mr Easingwood on 09 623 5400 extn 557
What should I do if I need to contact one of my son's teachers or a member of the Student Services team?
You are welcome to email your son's teacher/s or a member of the Student Services team. A list is available here.
What should I do if I need to contact the School's Health Centre?
Please call our School nurses on 09 623 5400 extension 637.