Auckland Grammar School encourages every boy to recognise and develop his individual potential to the full, and to gain pride and satisfaction through setting demanding personal goals and striving to attain them. We encourage the development of the whole person to produce young men who are ready, willing and able to assume useful roles in society and to be responsible citizens, some of whom will be international, national and local leaders, and all of whom will be sensitive to the needs of others.
We aim to make learning happen by removing the barriers.
What are the barriers to learning?
- Learning disabilities and difficulties
- Expecting to fail
- Poor organising skills
- Poor time management
- Previous failure
- Lack of concentration
- Low self-esteem
- Lack of confidence
- Distractive behaviour
- Lack of prior learning
- Lack of motivation
Who can we help?
- Boys with learning disabilities and learning difficulties
- Those with Special Teaching Needs (intellectual and physical)
- Boys who need organisational skills and time management skills
- Boys whose behaviour (distractibility, poor concentration) prevents them from learning
- Boys who are ill or injured
All areas provide:
- Additional support in curriculum
- Individual and small group tuition in reading, spelling, writing and mathematics
- Assistance with personal organisation
- Learning strategies for students
- Development of self-confidence and self-esteem
- A safe place for learning
- Implementation of IEPs
Form 5 Career Studies (CAS)
This is a special Form 5 subject option for less academic boys who need time to develop their learning skills. Students will work with a variety of Unit Standards which count towards their NCEA Level 1 qualification. Units of work are drawn from driving laws, first aid, health and fitness, touch typing and tourism.
If you have any further questions please contact our staff today.