Guidance and Counselling
Welcome to the Student Services at Auckland Grammar School. We have a wealth of experience between us as well as professional qualifications in Counselling with NZAC membership.
Your issues may be large or small, but do not wait for a crisis. If you are unsure, or have something that is troubling you, come and chat. The counsellors are here to help.
Mr Chris Porteous
Acting Head of Student Services and Counsellor
Ms Laura Dallaston
Mr Theon Ng
Ms Ellen Peacock
Ms Sam van Deventer
Student Services Office Manager
Mr Chris Porteous, Acting Head of Student Services
Phone: 09 623 5400 extn 572
Ms Laura Dallaston, Counsellor
Phone: 09 623 5400 extn 506
Mr Theo Ng, Counsellor
Phone: 09 623 5400
Ms Ellen Peacock, Counsellor
Phone: 09 623 5443
Ms Sam van Deventer, Student Services Office Manager
Phone: 09 623 5445
Book an Appointment
Alternatively you can pop into the Student Services centre to see us. We provide a safe, confidential environment for students, with the goal of supporting them to meet their full potential.
Working with a counsellor may include:
- Developing skills for living (e.g. problem solving, anger management, decision making, motivation, effective communication, identity/self discovery)
- Career guidance (See Careers Services)
- Assistance with alcohol/drug concerns, stress, relationship difficulties, grief and loss, coping with change, fear and anxiety or any other challenges
- Arrangement to interact with outside agencies if necessary.
Do you need help right now?
If you want to chat about how you’re feeling right this second, there are lots of helplines.
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.
If you are worried that you or someone who you is at risk of taking their life, you can call the suicide crisis helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
- The Lowdown: Life feeling a bit much? Free call 0800 111 757 or text 5626 any time for support from a trained counsellor.
- Youthline: Free, confidential and non-judgmental. Call 0800 37 66 33, free text 234 or email email@example.com
- Depression Helpline: Call 0800 111 757
- Anxiety Line: 0800 ANXIETY (0800 2694 389) – provides education and support around anxiety
- Abuse: 0508 744633 (9am – 11pm, 7 days a week)
Alcohol and Drugs: Call 0800 787 797 or text 8681
- Is someone making your life harder? If you or a friend is experiencing bullying at Auckland Grammar, use the above form to book in an appointment with a counsellor. We work with you and the deans to make sure our school is a safe and positive environment for you.
- Youthline – information on bullying
Cyber bullying – Netsafe
Youthline – information on abuse
At Auckland Grammar, counsellors don’t share what you tell them, unless they are worried for your safety or somebody elses. As much as possible counsellors will keep you in the loop so there shouldn’t be any surprises. Counsellors work in the wider team with other staff, so deans, nurses, and headmasters get a list of the names of students who have attended counselling, so if issues come up for them they know which counsellor to talk to.
All of us benefit from being listened to. We see individuals on a daily basis for a whole range of reasons. Our rule of thumb is if a student cannot concentrate on their studies in school or at home because they are being consumed with an issue, then that is a good reason to come and see us.
We are qualified in problem solving and our commitment to you is that we will do our absolute best to ensure that all students can feel safe and enjoy studying as a valued member of our school community.
For more general information on what counselling is about, Massey University have created a very informative page which can be found here.
We are based in the Student Services department within the Vaughan Jones room of the School Library.
No. All students are welcome to drop into Student Services at anytime during the School day. They can self-refer directly via email to a member of our counselling team or parents / caregivers and staff can telephone the Student Services Team or email directly using the links above at any time during the School day to make an appointment.
We offer individual and group counselling, in order to provide for a safe and secure school for our students to thrive.
We abide by the Code of Ethics of NZAC which means that confidentiality is maintained at all times unless there is an imminent risk to safety. In this instance we would need to call upon external support to ensure your safety.
If you are concerned about your son, show your concern and just listen. Don’t try to fix the problem for them, but just assess what the problem is and let them speak.
Being there for your son, attending, being present and actively listening in a caring and non-judgmental way is often all they need and it enables your child to feel heard. Click here for a short video on the importance of empathy.
However, if it is a problem that you feel you are unable to guide them with, then don’t hesitate to contact the Student Services Team and we will be more than happy to assess the situation and work alongside your son to guide him in finding a solution to the issue(s) and in so doing build his resilience.
On occasions we may need extra support as the presenting issues may fall outside of our expertise and for the best interests of the student we may refer to external support agencies such as The Kari Centre (Greenlane Medical Clinic).