The Heritage Room was set aside as a special space when the new library extension was opened in 1999. The Heritage Room is where the original library was located and has changed very little since then.
Library facilities did not exist at Auckland Grammar School until 1910, when a small room was set aside in the Symonds Street building to house the first books, bound in buckram, funded by the generosity of Old Boys. Once the School moved to Mountain Road in 1916, a larger room was set aside to house the Library, but this too was soon outgrown.
The stand-alone Library was designed in the Spanish Mission style of architecture to match that of the Main Block. It was built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the foundation of Auckland Grammar School in 1929.
Construction was completed around the end of 1930, and the Library was opened on 16 February 1931 by Professor Thomas, the Chair of the Board of Governors of the School.