Surfing has grown in popularity enormously over the past few years at Auckland Grammar School, especially in the beginner and intermediate group. This group heads out the Muriwai surf school in Term 1 for a series of lessons by expert coaches.
The surf group is split into two:
1) Novice Surf Group: This group caters for students from beginners level to intermediate level and is run by Mr Blyth.
2) Competitive Surf Group: This group represents Auckland Grammar School at the Auckland Regional Meets and National Events and is run by Mr Crook. Students will be required to be advanced surfers and will be required to meet the selection criteria in order to gain entry to this group.
Novice Surf Group
The Novice surf group is run in conjunction with the Muriwai Surf School. The group was formed in 2008. This group has proved to be very popular amongst the Auckland Grammar School student body and has well over 60 members. The group meets in term 1 and caters for students of all surfing abilities.
The Muriwai Surf School programme includes:
- Four 90-minute lessons with professional tuition
- All equipment (including wet suit, boards etc...)
- Instructions on easy-to-learn surfing techniques, teaching board control, and information sheets to take home
- Instruction son surf safety and ocean awareness
- Instructors who are in the water assisting and catching waves
Students can bring their own boards and wet suites if they so desire. The cost is $130 including GST for the entire 4 lessons.
The mini buses and cars leave Auckland Grammar School at the end of the school day and students are dropped back off at school at approximately 7pm. Students are required to bring their togs, a towel, a water bottle and snacks to eat.
There is always a lot of interest in the surfing sessions and, although we run two groups per week demand can sometimes exceed the spaces available!
For more experienced surfers wanting to get into competitive surfing the Auckland Scholastics are held during Terms 2 and 3. These offer a chance for boys to compete against other students and to try and qualify to represent Auckland in the National surfing championships held in the Term 3 holidays.
The Master in Charge of Surfing is Mr Crook. Students are able to speak to him in the Technology department during the School day or contact him via email or phone him on 09 623 5448.
Members of the Auckland Grammar Surf Group