Auckland Grammar School has a long and illustrious rowing tradition. Since rowing was first introduced to the school in 1952, the AGS Rowing Club has developed and nurtured boys from all walks of life by focusing on the Grammar values of pride, focus, respect, synergy, teamwork and determination.
Rowers from all levels can train at the facilities at Auckland Grammar and compete at the various competitions and traditional fixtures on offer.
2019 New Zealand Secondary School Championships (the Aon Maadi Cup)
- Under 18 Eight Bronze at Nationals, and Silver at the North Island Secondary Schools Championships
- Under 18 Pair - Bronze at Nationals, and Bronze at the North Island Secondary Schools Championships
- Under 17 Four - Bronze at Nationals, and Gold at Bat the North Island Secondary Schools Championships
- Under 15 Eight - Silver at Nationals
- Form 7 students F. J. Matla and H. B. Marshall were selected for the Under 18 North Island Rowing squad
- Old Boy Matt Macdonald '12 was named in the New Zealand Elite squad rowing squad, the NZ Men's Eight
We are always on the look out for students who want to be part of a successful team. Its a fun and competitive sport where many friendships are developed. We would love to have you on the team!
Any further questions please contact Master in Charge of Rowing, Mr Lowe, via email at email@example.com.
- Term 4 (of previous year) and Term 1: regattas and camps
- Term 2 and Term 3: optional training, students can participate in other winter sports
- Learn To Row Programme: Terms 1-3
Game days: Regattas are held in the weekends (not every weekend). Regattas are published annually
- At least four on-the-water sessions per week: before School and on weekends
- At least twice a week in the gym and one erg session
- Learn To Row: one weekend morning per week, plus Wednesday and Friday mornings (7am-8:30am in the Old Gym) - attendance optional but recommended. The aim of this programme is to let students try out rowing and get ready for the trials.
- Learn To Row (Terms 1-3): $50 per term.
- Full club membership: approximately $3,500 due in August (plus uniform)
Equipment: All is provided
Registration: Early in Term 1
Trials: Trials are held in Term 3, Week 4 for selection into the competitive squad. Crew selections are ongoing until March, when final crews are selected for the Maadi Cup (new Zealand Secondary Schools Championships).
The Master in Charge of Rowing is Mr Lowe. Students are able to speak to him in the Form 4 Dean's office during the School day or contact him via email.