BASKETBALL - 2020
- Registrations for Competitive Basketball are closed.
- Registrations for Social Basketball are closed.
Auckland Grammar School’s Premier Basketball Team has been ranked in the top ten at the National Secondary Schools’ Tournament for the last ten years consecutively. It is the only school to have achieved that consistency of success.
Recent alumni from some of those teams who are currently studying and playing at American universities include: Takiula Fahrensohn ’12, at Portland; Conor Flanagan ’12, at West Florida; Thomas Higgins ’13, at Texas A&M International; Thomas Whyte ’13, at Assumption College and Anzac Rissetto ’14, at Charlotte.
NZ age group representative coaches, Dave Mackay, Lindsay Tait and Angela Perrott-Hunt, are also strengthening the basketball base by developing the skills of junior players. The Junior Premier Basketball Team has been Auckland Junior Champions in back to back seasons, 2018 and 2019.
Our teams compete in the Auckland Secondary Schools’ competition administered by College Sport, at Premier, Open A, Under 17 and Junior (years 9 and 10) levels. There is also an intra-school competition for social players.
During term one a skills training programme is offered on Wednesday after school, from 3.30p.m. to 5.30p.m.
Trials will be held during weeks 9 and 10 of term one for competitive teams. A preliminary trial will be held earlier for the Premier Team and the Junior Premier Team. There are no trials for social basketball.
There will be at least one after school or before school practice for each competitive team. There are no practices for social teams.
During terms two and three games are played after school / evenings on Wednesday (Junior and Open A), Thursday (Under 17) and Friday (Premier). Social basketball is on Friday after school.
A fee will be charged to the parent portal to cover the cost of registration to College Sport. Uniforms (singlets and shorts) must be purchased from the School shop.
Notices regarding trials, practice times, games and results will be read out in assembly and posted on the Basketball noticeboard outside the Sports’ Centre.
The Teacher in Charge of Basketball is Mrs Birtwistle. Students are able to speak to her in the SCT office in the Old Gymnasium during the School day or contact her via email.
- All trials will be held in the Sports’ Centre beginning at 3.30pm.
- Only registered players will be allowed to trial.
- Registrations may be completed online by going to the Basketball page, through the Sports portal on the School website. See Mrs Birtwistle if there is a problem with that.
- Players must have the correct attire, including appropriate footwear, to take part in a trial.
- See Mrs Birtwistle, in the SCT office in the Old Gymnasium, to discuss any issues