The Auckland Grammar School Cycling squad came away victorious at the North Island Secondary School Road Race Championships held at Lake Karapiro last weekend.
Saturday commenced with the Team Time Trials with the Senior A Team winning their team time trial 35 seconds clear of second place, St Peter's School Cambridge. The Junior A Team also won beating the Grammar Junior B who placed second. The medals continued to flow in both the Road Race and the Criterium.
In the Road Race held on Saturday afternoon:
- Form 4 student J. A. J. Barclay was third in the Under 15 Boys category
- Form 4 student L. R. Bhimy was first and Form 5 student D. Morton was second in the Under 16 Boys category
- Form 7 students T. G. S. Bean and M. I. Findlow were first and third respectively in the Under 20 Boys category
The Criterium was held on Sunday with some outstanding results:
- Form 3 student J. Kwon was first in the Under 14 Boys category
- Form 3 student C. P. Wagener was first in the Under 15 Boys B Grade
- J. A. J Barclay was first in the Under 15 Boys A Grade
- D. Morton was first, L. R. Bhimy second and Form 5 student N. P. Boness third in the Under 16 Boys category
- Form 6 student F. G. Hawkesby was second in the Under 17 Boys B Grade
- Form 6 student A. J. Norwell was third in the Under 17 Boys A Grade
Auckland Grammar School also walked away with the trophy for the Top Boyd School for the first time since 2015, with a total of 149 points, 46 points ahead of St Peter's School Cambridge in second place.
Following on from the success at the Road Race Championships, the squad then took to the Avantidrome in Cambridge to compete at the North Island and National Track Championships, which were held on Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 July.
The squad were successful in this competition in walking away with a number of podium placings including:
- In the North Island Junior Team Sprint, L. R. Bhimy and N. P. Boness were second
- In the North Island Junior Team Pursuit, L. R. Bhimy, N. P. Boness, Form 4 student B. C. Pawson and Form 5 student C. D. Scarlett were third
- In the North Island Senior Team Pursuit, Form 6 students F. H. Maddison, A. J. Norwell and E. W. Pawson and Form 7 student C. J. Worrall were third
- In the North Island Individual Omnium, N. P. Boness was first in the Under 16 Boys race, A. J. Norwell was third in the Under 17 Boys race and E. W. Pawson was third in the Under 20 Boys race
- In the Tempo Points B Final, F. H Maddison was second
- In the Under 16 Tempo Points A Final, N. P. Boness was second
- In the Under 16 Tempo Points B Final, B. C. Pawson was second
- In the Under 17 Keirin B Final, A. J. Norwell was second
- In the Under 16 Keirin A Final, N. P. Boness was first
- In the Under 16 Keirin B Final, L. R. Bhimy was first
Congratulations to the entire squad and to Master in Charge Ms Watson for her continued encouragement and support.