Auckland Grammar School's largest team of 21 swimmers competed at the 2019 New Zealand Secondary Schools Swimming Championships in Hamilton, beginning the week prior to Senior Exams. The team performed outstandingly well to finish third in New Zealand overall and win the trophy for the top school in relays.
The medal tally was five individual and one relay gold, one individual and five relay silvers and four individual and two relay bronze medals, with an additional 51 other top ten placings.
Every swimmer exceeded their personal best times in nearly every event, with some improving their times by significant margins. Two of our junior students were outstanding, with J. J. Kennard winning three gold medals and a silver and O. B. Sargison gaining two golds and a bronze.
The depth of swimming talent at Grammar was displayed in the relay events, with the Senior team winning gold in the 8 x 50m freestyle relay and bronze in the 4 x 50m and the 4 x 100m free relay and the Junior team silver in the 4 x 50m medley relay and 4 x 100m free relay.
The below individual members of the team will cross stage on Thursday to receive their medals and the School's congratulations:
- Form 3 student E. J. Joh - Bronze in the Junior 100m fly.
- Form 6 student M. J. E. Clark - Bronze in the Senior 100m Individual medley and the Senior 100m backstroke.
- Form 3 student O. B. Sargison - Bronze in the Junior 200m free and gold in the Junior 200m fly and 400m free.
- Form 3 student J. J. Kennard - Silver in the Junior 100m Individual medley and gold in the 50m, 100m and 200m breaststroke.
The Junior and Senior relay teams:
- Junior 4 x 50 medley Silver: Form 3 student O. B. Sargison, Form 4 student S. F. C. Maberly, Form 5 student J. C. George, and represented by Form 5 student E. Li.
- Junior 4 x 100 free Silver: Form 3 student E. J. Joh, Form 5 students J. C. George and E. Li, and represented by Form 4 student S. F. C. Maberly
- Senior 4 x 50 free Bronze: Form 6 student Y. F. Wang, Form 7 students A. Carter and J. M. Dufaur,and represented by Form 7 student W. C. P. Body
- Senior 4 x 100 free Bronze: Form 5 student J. C. G. Klink, Form 6 students M. J. E. Clark and Y.F Wang, and represented by J. M. Dufaur
The Senior 8 x 50m freestyle team will also cross as the National Champions: Form 5 student J. C. George, J. C. G. Klink, 6 students M. J. E. Clark, G. H. Falconer and Y. F. Wang, and Form 7 students W. C. P. Body, A. Carter and J. M. Dufaur.
Finally, Captain of Swimming C. S. Poole crossed stage to receive the trophy for the overall top school in relays.