The Auckland GRammar School Rowing squad competed at the North Island Secondary School Championships at Lake Karapiro last weekend. The team's determination and commitment secured two gold and four silver medals. These results placed them fifth on the overall points table - the best result Grammar Rowing has seen in ten years.
There was close racing over the 2000 metre course, conditions were flat with tail winds leading to many crews setting personal best times. In the pinnacle age-group eights events, the School placed 2nd in all races, except the Under 18 race, showing great depth in our younger ranks and a promising future.
It was the smaller boats where Grammar displayed dominance and won Gold, with the Under 15 quad and Under 18 Novice four crews both winning their events.
One of the weekend's more exciting races was seen through the young boys in our Novice 8. They finished in second place, just 0.01 seconds behind Hamilton Boys' High School. This is the closet result possible without it being a dead heat. The boys in this crew will use this tough loss to push them to new levels over the coming weeks to National Champs.
This morning we recognised the crews who earned medals at the North Island Championships:
- The Under 15 eight crew (M. Hawkesby, M. Hiddleston, G. Miles, H. Marshall, K. Lotu-I'iga, D. Hawkins, F. Matla, J. Heath and coxswain H. Briggs)
- The Men's Novice Under 18 eight crew (M. Hiddleston, S. Garton, F. Ross-Wallis, J. Shutes, F. Wilson, T. Barrell, B. Kershaw, L. Kershaw and coxswain, N. Hoare)
- The Under 16 eight crew (A. Carter, J. Abobo, H. Marshall, F. Matla, T. Lotu-I'iga, L. Hakansson, T. Barrell , B. Scott and coxswain H. Briggs)
- The Under 17 eight crew (D. Young, F. Carter, J. Ready, J. Matla, H. Numans, B. Scott, T. Lotu-I'iga, J. Hamilton and coxswain J. Du Toit)
- The Under 15 quad crew who won gold (M. Hawkesby, H. Marshall, F. Matla, J. Heath and coxswain H. Briggs)
- The Novice Under 18 four crew who also won gold (F. Ross-Wallis, T. Barrell, B, Kershaw, L Kershaw and cox J Du Toit)
Over the next two weeks the rowing squad will be finetuning their performances and boats in preparation for the 2017 Maadi Cup.
The Novice Under 18 4 crew (F. Ross-Wallis, T. Barrell, B, Kershaw, L Kershaw and cox J. Du Toit [not pictured]). The team were first ahead of St Pauls Collegiate and Hamilton Boys. This was particularly impressive, as they had lost to the Hamilton Boys Novice 8 by 0.01 of a second only 3 hours earlier.