Fees and Refund Policies
All costs are in New Zealand dollars and are inclusive of GST. These fees are correct at the time of publishing and are annually reviewed by the Board of Trustees. The School reserves the right to adjust the fees when necessary. Download a hard copy (PDF) here.
- Tuition Fee - $21,750 per year
- Administration fee (non-refundable) - $525 per year
- Ministry of Education levy - $430 per year
- Homestay fee ($280 per week) - $12,880 for 46 weeks
- Homestay Placement and Monitoring fee - $320 per year
- Homestay Change Administration fee - $250 per change
- Self-Appointed Homestay and Designated Caregiver Monitoring fee - $200 per house
- Homestay Holding fee (Christmas closure only) - $350 as applicable
- Homestay Airport Collection fee (new students) - $30 one way
- Travel and Medical Insurance (external provider) - $500 per year
- School uniform - $550 (basic requirement)
- 2016 School camp fee - $545 (for Form 4 students)
- Stationery - $100 (subject to department)
- Student Visa Renewal Fee via the School - $240
- 2016 NCEA Standard examination fee - $384 per year
- 2016 IGCSE Form 5 examination fee - $120 per subject
- 2016 AS and A2 examination fee - $120 per subject
- Extra-curricular actvities such as sports fees, music tuition, instrument hire and field trips - variable fee available on request
- Bus transportation to and from School - $40-$108 per month as applicable
Offer of a Place
- All International students must apply for admission to the School by accurately completing in full the International student application for enrolment form, and providing the School with the necessary supporting documents. This will enable the School to promptly assess the application received.
- Successful applicants will be issued with an Offer of a Place ('Offer') which is accompanied by an invoice for the annual tuition fees and living costs and is payable to the School.
- The Offer is made conditional upon a satisfactory level of English, as determined by Auckland Grammar School's testing procedures, on arrival during orientation.
- To accept the Offer, fees must be paid in full to the School. Once payment has been received, the School will issue a Confirmation of a Place and a payment receipt.
- The Confirmation of a Place and receipt is required by Immigration New Zealand in order for a student to apply for a student visa.
- The Offer will remain valid for 6 weeks from the date of issue. If the Offer period expires, the student is able to contact the School to request the Offer be reissued, and the School may do so if places are available.
- The renewal of an Offer for each subsequent year of enrolment is not guaranteed by the School. The renewal of an Offer is based on the student's academic progression, attendance, behaviour and amongst other factors, as determined by the School.
- International students are not allowed to live alone or in a flatting situation while enrolled at Auckland Grammar.
- International students who do not live with a parent or a designated caregiver are required to live in an Auckland Grammar approved homestay.
- The School is able to arrange homestay accommodation for the student, or approve a privately-arranged homestay. All student accommodation is managed and regularly monitored by the School.
Travel and Medical Insurance
- International Students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand, as required under the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice. An approved insurance policy can be arranged via the School with Southern Cross insurance.
- Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website.
- The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.
Fees Protection Policy
Rationale: The School is required to ensure that all student fees are protected in the event the School is unable to continue to offer tuition to International Students or in the event that a student is required to return home.
Guidelines: The Auckland Grammar School Board of Trustees confirms that the tuition fees of International students will not be spent by the School prior to the tuition being provided.
Refunds Policy for International Students
All fees stated on the Offer of a Place are to be paid prior to the commencement of enrolment at Auckland Grammar School. Payment of fees is confirmation and acceptance of the current Tuition Agreement for International students and agreement to adhere to School rules and regulations.
- There is no refund of tuition fees, except in very exceptional circumstances.
- In order to be considered for any refund the parent or legal guardian of an International Student must apply in writing to the Board of Trustees, setting out the special circumstances of the claim (refer to number 4) and must include suitable proof of evidence to support the claim.
- If the Student withdraws from the Offer of Place prior to arriving in New Zealand, or he fails to obtain a study visa, fees paid will be refunded in full minus a NZ$525 administration fee.
- If the Student wishes to withdraw after arrival in New Zealand and commencement of a subject, course or programme, no refund will be made except where the student is required to return home due to serious illness or the bereavement of an immediate family member. In that event the refund will be calculated in accordance with number 5.
- Where a student withdraws from a subject, course or programme at the School and is eligible to receive a refund, the Board of Trustees may refund to the person who paid the fees in respect of the subject, course or programme, any amount of the fees it thinks appropriate but any such amount will not exceed the sum of the following amounts:
- 5.1 the Board's best estimate of the cost to the School of providing tuition in the subject, course or programme for one student up to that time;
- 5.2 an amount that in the Board's opinion reflects the use made by one student in the subject, course or programme of the School's capital facilities;
- 5.3 the appropriate proportion of the amount paid by the Board in respect of the New Zealand Government levy for enrolling the student; and
- 5.4 all other fees prescribed by the Board.
No refunds will be made, where the student:
- is asked to leave the School because of misbehaviour, poor attendance, poor academic performance, violation of the School rules, criminal behaviour, or providing misleading or false information as part of the admission and enrolment process;
- wishes to transfer to another school for whatever reason;
- returns home for any reason other than the student's serious illness or the bereavement of an immediate member of the family; and/or
- acquires permanent residency status after having already enrolled at the School as an International Student.
In the unlikely event that Auckland Grammar School ceases to be signatory to the Code of Practice, a provider, or is unable to provide a course of educational instruction as contracted with the student, then the tuition fees would be refunded in accordance with 5.1-5.4.
The appropriate proportion of the amount paid in homestay fees will be refunded. The refunded amount will be minus the required 2 week's written notice period, and minus the homestay monitoring and placement fee, and minus any other fees prescribed by the Board.
NOTE: Nothing in this Policy limits any rights that the student may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act or the Education Act.