We welcome your application to study at Auckland Grammar School as an international student. The School has enrolled international students as a valued part of the School's community. Representing a wide range of nationalities, our international students comprise five percent of the School's annual roll.
We are proud to be able to offer a first-class education at one of New Zealand's leading academic secondary schools, and make every effort to ensure the transition to life in New Zealand is as enjoyable and easy as possible. This starts with an orientation programme on arrival, to introduce the School, its heritage and culture.
International students may enroll from Form 3 to Form 7 and the International Department offers the utmost support in assisting students attain individual academic success, encouraging participation in co-curricular activities, and ensuring a happy and settled homestay relationship with their residential carers.
Steps for applying for Admission:
- Please click Apply Now to complete the application and submit required documents. Tuition agreement and housing contract to be provided, signed and uploaded. You are able to save the online application and come back to it later if needed. You are also able to download a PDF of the application if required.
- Student interview (by Skype, WeChat or in person)
- Offer of Place received from the School (if application is successful)
- Tuition and homestay fees paid to the School to confirm the Offer
- Fees Receipt and Confirmation Offer of Place received from School
- Application for New Zealand student visa submitted to Immigration New Zealand
- Medical and Travel insurance to be confirmed
- If the student is transferring from another school in New Zealand, a Letter of Release will be required, as well as a Reference Letter from the Dean.
International Students are selected based on:
- Academic Record: previous school reports
- English Proficiency: writing and verbal skills
- Character References
- Student Interview: communication and comprehension skills
- Co-curricular activities
- Spaces available in the year level applied for
- Subject and/or English mini-exams may be administered for senior level entry
Offer of Place
If the applicant is successful, Auckland Grammar School will make an 'Offer of Place' to the student. The Offer includes the student's year level, the start and end date of enrolment period, the International Student Tuition Agreement and other relevant school policies.
NOTE: Enrolment into courses depends on a number of factors, including confirmation of prior learning, ability in chosen subjects, and at least an intermediate level of English. This will be assessed on arrival as part of our orientation programme, which includes class placement testing.
Students without the prerequisite level of English on arrival will be referred to the on-site High School Preparation Class (HSPU) until the required English level is reached to be successful in mainstream subjects.
Payment of tuition and homestay fees
To accept the Offer of Place, all tuition and homestay fees are paid to Auckland Grammar School and the School will provide a payment of fees receipt. This is an essential document for the student visa application process and approval with Immigration New Zealand. Refer to the Fees Refund and Fees Protection Policies page on the School website.
Student Visa application
The student (or their representative) is required to apply for a New Zealand student visa. The on-line application submission process is the fastest and easiest method to obtain a student visa from Immigration New Zealand.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that he has a valid visa and permit to study at Auckland Grammar School. Students without a valid visa are not permitted to enroll or attend class until their visa has been approved.
Full details of visa and permit requirements are available at New Zealand Immigration Service.
Subject Selection, Agreements and Housing Contracts
The Tuition Agreement, Code of Conduct, Statement of Designated Caregiver Arrangements/ or Homestay Contract, Student ICT Acceptable Use Policy and Student Health Record are to be completed and signed by parents and students. Please refer to the Course Handbook for the academic courses and subjects available.
Medical and Travel Insurance
Auckland Grammar is able to arrange Medical and Travel insurance for all international students with Southern Cross Insurance. This is a student policy approved by the NZ Government for the protection of international students while studying and living in New Zealand.
If using an alternative insurance policy, a copy of the policy and fee receipt must be sighted and checked by Auckland Grammar School in advance to enable the student to enroll at the school. The policy must be fully comprehensive and include cover for travel, medical and fee protection.
*N.B Please read and understand our fee structure and refund policy here.