Student Achievements - June/July/August/September 2019
Robotics Olympiad: Sanghoo Kim 5H competed at the 2019 New Zealand Robotics Olympiad during the term break. Tasked with building a robot from scratch within a three-hour time limit, Sanghoo received Gold in the Line Tracer category and Bronze for his creativity.
Sanghoo was also selected as a member of the New Zealand team to attend the International Robotics Olympiad in Thailand in December.
Athletics: Quinn Gardiner-Hall 3F competed at the New Zealand Road Race Championships in September and won Gold in the race walk. He is now the New Zealand champion for the Under 14 3000m Road Race walk.
Karate: Alonzo Miguel David competed at the Kumgang Martial Arts competition and received his Blue belt. This result involved lots of training, self-discipline, perseverance and indomitable spirit.
Sailing: Luke Cashmore 7C recently competed at several international sailing regattas across Europe and North America, receiving the following results:
- At the Kiel Week Regatta in Germany in mid June, Luke finished sixth out of 125 boats in the male fleet of the Open Age Laser Radial class.
- At the World Youth Championships in Poland in July, Luke finished 15th out of 57 boats in the Laser Radial class.
- At the Laser Radial Youth World Championships in Canada, Luke competed as part of the New Zealand Youth Laser team. However, an unfortunate accident with another boat saw him miss the last two races of the regatta, meaning he slipped from third place to finish 11th overall out of 160 boats.
Squash: The New Zealand Junior Squash Championships had four students in the Under 15, Under 17 and Under 19 grades:
- In the Under 15 Grade, Apa Fatialofa 4K was the 2019 Under 15 New Zealand Champion and Noah Thomas 5I was third.
- In the Under 19 Grade, Elijah Thomas 6E was second and Leo Fatialofa 6F1 was third.
Taekwondo: George Ge 4C competed in the Taekwondo New Zealand Open Championships, competing against others from around New Zealand, receiving both a Silver and a Bronze medal.