Student Achievements - September/October 2017
Jonathan Chan 7A was awarded the NIWA Senior Science Prize and the University of Auckland Physics Department Award for Excellence in Physical Investigations for his research on Leidenfrost Stars. Jonathan's project was judged the Best Overall Exhibit at the Fair, winning the top NIWA Premier Platinum Award.
Michael Derevianko 6A was awarded a Gold Award in the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition, the world's oldest schools international writing competition, managed by The Royal Commonwealth Society annually since 1883. The theme was A Commonwealth for Peace with over 12,300 students from across the Commonwealth entering. Michael earned a Gold Award reserved for the top 4 percent of entrants.
Michael also entered the National United Nations Youth Essay Competition where he was awarded first place in the competition. As a result, Michael has gained entry into the National Event, Aotearoa Youth Declaration.
Badminton: Edward Lau 6E1 was selected for the Badminton New Zealand Under 19 squad which competed at four tournaments over the last three months: Waikato International, Australian Junior International, Malaysia International Junior and World Junior Championships in Indonesia. He will also be representing New Zealand U19 team in Singapore in November.
- Anzac Rissetto 6G1 was selected for the New Zealand U17 Mens Basketball team which toured to the Philippines in July.
- Tomas Higgins 7E1 was selected for the New Zealand U18 Mens Basketball Team which played at the Oceania Championships held in Guam in July.
Disc Ultimate: Andrew Fitzpatrick-Cockram 7I and Nicholas Whitlock 7D were selected for the New Zealand Under 20 Disc Ultimate team in Sydney at the Trans Tasman Tournament late September.
Football: Ben Deeley 6E were selected for the New Zealand Under 17 Football Team to compete in the Under 18 World Cup tournament in Mumbai.
Ice Hockey: Barr Bialik 3I was selected for the Auckland Under 17 Ice Hockey team to compete in the New Zealand Under 17 Ice Hockey League Nationals in Dunedin in September.
Orienteering: Michael McCormack 5C was selected for the New Zealand Secondary Schools Orienteering team to compete for the Southern Cross Trophy in the 2017 Australian Schools Championships in Australia in September.
Rowing: Henry Briggs 6E, Jack Ready 6F and Jonty Matla 6H were selected for the Auckland Secondary Schools' Light Blue Rowing Team which competed in the 2017 Queensland Regatta in Rockhampton, Australia in September.
Rugby: Sam Rainger 6H, Sam Jenkin 7H and Thomas Strachan 7D1 were all selected for the Auckland Under 18A Rugby Squad which played the Taranaki Under 18 team at the end of September.
Rugby League: Matthew Timoko 6H1 gained selection to the New Zealand Rugby League Under 18 Residents Team.
- Henry McLachlan 4J has been selected to travel to China to race in the China Cup Regatta sailing on Feva's.
- Timothy Cashmore 3G will compete in the North island Optimist Championships at Taupo in November.
- Luke Cashmore 5G will be competing in the Coastal Classic Yacht Race over Labour Weekend.
- Mitch Jackson 6F1 competed at the New Zealand Match Racing Sailing Championships at the end of Term 3.
Squash: Ben Tomlinson 4G and Elijah Thomas 4C were selected for the New Zealand Secondary Schools Junior Squash Team which competed in the Trans Tasman Series in August. Elijah, playing at No 1, won all seven of his singles matches as well as the doubles games with Ben.
Elijah was also selected in the Auckland U19 team for the Nationals played over the October holidays.
Surf Life Saving: Oscar Williams 7C and Jack Dufaur 5D competed for Piha at the Surf Life Saving Regional Pool Championships in Auckland in September and achieved several New Zealand Records.
- Oscar is the New Zealand record holder in the Under 19 100m Individual Carry and also the Under 19 Manikin Relay Team event.
- Jack and Oscar are New Zealand record holders in the Under 19 Medley Relay team event.
Oscar also competed at the New Zealand Surflifesaving Pool Championships in October, where he won gold medals in three individual events (the Under 19 Men's 100m manikin carry with fins, the Under 19 Men's rescue 50m medley and the Under 19 Men's 200m superlifesaver), silver in the Under 19 Men's 100 manikin carry, and bronze in the Under 19 Men's 100m manikin tow with fins, breaking his own New Zealand record in the process.
He also won gold in the following team events - the Under 19 Men's line throw, the Under 19 Men's manikin relay (with a NZ record time) and the Under 19 Men's rescue medley relay (with a NZ record time).
Oscar has been selected to represent New Zealand in the Junior Black Fins team competing in the Ironman, Surf Ski and Tube Rescue events at the International Surf Rescue Challenge at Mt Maunganui in a three test series against Australia, South Africa, Great Britain, France and the USA.
Jack was also a member of the team that won Gold at the National Pool Championships in the Under 19 Men's rescue medley relay (NZ record time).
Swimming: Alex Anderson 5P and David O'Connor 7I competed at the New Zealand Secondary Schools Swimming Championships held in Hamilton in September.
- Alex won Gold medals in all five events he contested: 50m backstroke, 50m and 100m breaststroke and 50m and 100m freestyle.
- David won Silver medals in the 50m and 100m breaststroke and the 50m freestyle, along with Bronze medals in the 50m backstroke and 100m freestyle.
- Nick Ewens 3D and Alex Farmiloe 7A both competed at the New Zealand Secondary Schools Weightlifting Championships held in Whangarei in August
- Nick gained a Silver medal in the Under 50kg category with a 74kg total. Alex received a Bronze medal in the Under 85kg with a 220kg total and then represented New Zealand at the Oceania and Commonwealth Championships on the Gold Coast of Australia early in September gaining a second place in the Under 85kg youth category with a lift of 214kg total.
- Benet recently attended the Weightlifting National Championships in Dunedin. Benet has broken over 40 New Zealand records since he started and almost 20 records for this season which ends in December, including the Snatch and Clean and Jerk. At the recent Open Nationals, he won gold at the Junior Under 20 105+kg category and bronze in the Senior Men's 105+kg category.