Student Achievements - January/February 2018
In 2017, the School's Performance groups achieved outstanding success and recognition, including several notable individual student achievements:
- H. Lee 7B - Diploma ABRSM Distinction (Violin)
- R. Shi 6C - Selected for the New Zealand Secondary School's Orchestra (bassoon) and received his ABRSM Grade 8 with distinction
- R. Gan 4A ABRSM Grade 8 with distinction (Violin)
- L. Zhuyan 5E - TCL Grade 8 with Distinction (Violin)
- D. C. X. Yan 4C - TCL Grade 8 with Distinction (Violin)
- J. H. Kim 4C - TCL Grade 7 with Merit (Violin)
- C. P. P. Lam 5C - ABRSM Grade 7 (trumpet)
- M. Yang 6D - TCL Grade 5 (Trumpet)
- J. Shih 6E - TCL Grade 5 (Trumpet)
- J. E. Low 5A - TCL Grade 3 with Merit (saxophone)
- A. Puttick '13 - ABRSM Grade 8 with Merit (Voice)
Congratulations to the following students who have been named as Music Leaders for 2018:
- Pipe Band - Pipe Major - T. D. Abbott 7C
- Grammar Virtuosi - Concertmaster - H. Lee 7B
- Symphony Orchestra - Concertmaster - H. Lee 7B
- Contemporary Music - C. L. Macfarlane 6E
- Big Band - B. L. Lerner 6B
- Premier Concert Band - B. Yue 7B
- Vocal Music - U. T. Filikitonga 6G1
Basketball: Daniel Boyd 4H was selected for the Harbour Under 16 Boys Basketball Squad to compete in tournaments in Melbourne in January.
Cycling: Lachlan Dickson 6F was selected as part of the Auckland Track Team to compete in the 2018 Elite Track Nationals in Invercargill in February.
- Cole Elliott 6D1 played in an Under 17 Waikato University Football Academy team which attended the 2018 President's Day Tournament in Arizona in February. This tournament was attended from 102 teams from throughout the USA, Canada and Europe.
- Hugo Kidd 7F1 was invited to train and trial with two Japanese Football Clubs over the January period.
Flying: James Campbell 7F1 was granted a scholarship to attend the annual Walsh Memorial Scout Flying School held in Matamata. This was an intensive flying camp to achieve solo flight.
- Evan Manning 4A was selected to play in an Under 14 Boys' team in the Craig Foster Cup held in Australia in January.
- Finn McCracken 5H, Thomas Wilson 5C, and Benjamin Woodard 5H played in the Craig Foster Cup held in Australia. Their team won the Under 16 Division securing them entry to the World Futsal Championships in Orlando in July this year.
Gymnastics: Logan Bow 4E, Riley Cantlon 6C1 and Luke Fairbairn 5A travelled to Texas as part of a team representing Gymnastics New Zealand in the Men's Artistic Gymnastics at the Valeri Liukin Invitational Competition held at the World Olympic Gymnastics Academy. The boys successfully achieved medal placings on various apparatus and also won team trophies.
Motor Racing: Taylor Hurst 5N has gained entry to both Formula First series and the BMW driver series with his first races held in early February at Taupo and Manfield. Further races in the series will be held at Hampton Downs and Pukekohe Racetrack.
Rowing: Jonty du Toit 7C was selected to cox for the Auckland RPD Women's Premier Coxed Eight in the New Zealand Rowing Championships at Karapiro in February.
- Luke Cameron-Smith 4I crewed on a 420 boat competing in the Oceanbridge NZ Sailing Regatta held early February.
- Monty Alderson 4L competed in the Oceanbridge NZ Sailing Regatta.
- Luke Cashmore 6F competed in the Laser Radial Nationals in January where he came 3rd in the Youth Division. He also competed at the Oceanbridge NZ Sailing regatta.
- William Shapland 7F competed over the holidays in Sail Sydney and Hong Kong concluding with the 2018 29er Worlds. He also competed in the Oceanbridge NZ Sailing regatta.
- Pat Morgan 7D1 and Lewis Anderson 7C competed in the Red Bull Foiling Generation Regatta run by the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron at the end of February.
These regattas were important for gaining an international ranking to represent New Zealand overseas.
Skiing: Ben Barclay 6F was selected by Snow Sports New Zealand to participate in the Europa Cup circuit as part of a training and competition programme. He is looking to qualify for the World Cup competition to be held in March.
Surf Life Saving:
- Finn Ward 6C1 represented the Piha Beach Surf Club at the Eastern Region championships held at Mt Maunganui in late January.
- Ben Goffin 6C1 attedned a Surf Life Saving New Zealand Intermediate Lifeguard course at Gisborne in January.
- Jack Benney 3E, Felix Maddison 3G, Luke Hair 3H, Harry Dufaur 4F, Dom Woodhouse 4K and Tom Gordon 4M all competed in the Oceans 2018 Age Group New Zealand Surf Life Saving Championships held at Orewa from 1-4 March.
Swimming: Spencer Menzies 3F qualified to enter the National Swimming Event held by Swimming New Zealand in Rotorua late January.
Tag: Kalepo Paualaisa 4O represented Samoa at the Tag Nationals held at the end of February.
Table Tennis: Jeremy Okada 4A attended a Regional Table Tennis Squad training camp in Christchurch in January. He has also been selected to be part of cadet boys (Under 15) regional training squad.
Tennis: Adrian Lagman 6D played in three international tennis tournaments held in Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland in late January/early February.
- Cullen Gray 4O was selected in the Auckland Under 13 Elite Touch Rugby team for a tournament held in Rotorua over Anniversary weekend.
- Joshua Penney 4J was selected to represent Counties Manukau Region in the Under 16 Mixed Elite Touch team held early February.
- Robert Mischewski 5O was selected to represent Counties Manukau in the Under 18 Boys team at the Annual Touch New Zealand Junior Nationals held early February.
- Kahn Munokoa 6E1 was selected for the Under 18 Mens Auckland Touch Team to compete the 2018 Junior Nationals in Manurewa in early February.