Student Achievements - February/March 2019
In the 2018 Cambridge examinations, 23 students gained a total of 25 awards in the Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards including:
- 11 High Achievement Awards (Top in NZ but in subjects with limited entries)
- 11 Top in New Zealand Awards
- 3 Top in the World Awards
These students were among the 46 students recognised at the annual Scholars' Assembly in February and received their awards at the Outstanding Cambridge Learner Awards ceremony in mid-February.
- Tomohiro Eason (IGCSE Foreign Language - Japanese)
Top in New Zealand:
- Arthur De Mornac 6D1 (IGCSE Foreign Language - French)
- Jacob Rackham 6B (IGCSE Geography)
- Oliver Gibson 6B (IGCSE Physical Education)
Top in the World:
- Nathan Chen 6A (IGCSE Chemistry)
AS Level awardees:
- Ben Hart 7B (AS Level Foreign Language - Spanish)
- Maxwell Meade 7C1 (AS Level Foreign Language - French)
Top in New Zealand:
- Xuhan Zhang 7A (AS Level Accounting)
- Anthony Kwan (AS Level Mathematics)
Athletics: Edward Chaytor 4H, Oscar Millington 5K, Lee Lober-Chan 5P and Finn Ward 7D1 competed at the Porritt Classic in February, winning the 1500m relay in a time of 3.14.8 to win the Nick Willis Trophy.
Polo: Ethan Wade 7D1 won the Land Rover NZ Polo Open in February, the youngest ever winner of the tournament at just 17 years old.
Skiing: Ben Barclay 7F will be competing at the Junior World Skiing Championships in Sweden in April.
Surf Life Saving: Jack Benney 4K competed at the Northern Regional Surf Life Saving Championships in February and was second in the Under 16 Men's Beach Relay, second in the Under 16 Men's Tube Rescue and third in the Under 16 Men's Taplin Relay. Jack also gained third place in the Under 19 Men's Beach Sprint Relay at the New Zealand Surf Life Saving Championships in March.
Weightlifting: Six Grammar weightlifters competed at the Auckland Championships in early March. In the open age competition, adults can compete alongside students, and Grammar achieved the following results:
- Gene Brown 6D1 competed in the 67kg class and equaled his personal best total of 156kgs, which was enough to qualify him for the club nationals later in the year.
- Ashton Greenbury 5G competed in the 89kg class and beat his personal best total by 7 kilograms, lifting 167kgs to take out the junior section in his category.
- Ben Ewens 5M competed in the 73kg class and beat his personal best total by 20 kilograms, lifting 135kgs to take out the junior section and second overall.
- Harrison Mortimer 4L competed in the 81kg class and lifted a personal best 109kgs, and setting new New Zealand Under 15 records for his division, in just his second competition.
NEW ZEALAND REPRESENTATIVE BADGES
A number of students gained selection and recently represented New Zealand in competitions around the world. Our congratulations go to:
- Max Barr 7F - New Zealand Secondary Schools Water Polo Team
- Patrick Hayes 7E - New Zealand Secondary Schools Orienteering Team
- Ben Lerner 7D - New Zealand Youth Jazz Orchestra