Built upon our History
Auckland Grammar School was originally endowed by the Governor of New Zealand, Sir George Grey, in 1850. Grey made a series of land grants to set up and maintain a grammar school in Auckland that was to be “for the education of all New Zealanders”.
Nineteen years later, in 1869, the School was opened in Howe Street with 68 boys on the roll. During the Depression of the 1880s, girls from the Girls’ High School joined the Auckland College and Grammar School as it was then known, mainly out of economic necessity.
In 1899, the School once again became known as Auckland Grammar School, but girls remained on the roll through until 1909.
Having made several moves throughout its first four decades, the School’s current Mountain Road site was acquired between 1911 and 1913. During the intervening years of the First World War (1914–1918), Grammar embarked upon an ambitious and far-sighted building programme, which included the Spanish Mission style main building that is today listed with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
The School’s War Memorial was built to pay tribute to those who served and those who lost their lives while serving in World War One.
As the School’s roll grew, a number of specialist facilities were built later that century and into this century.