The School’s pavilions overlook playing fields of Auckland Grammar School, giving spectators views of the Sky Tower and Auckland City.
The Old Boys’ Pavilion
The official opening of the Old Boys’ Pavilion on Friday 7 September 2007 was attended by 250 guests. It was fitting that one of our greatest Old Boys, Sir Wilson Whineray ’48, officially declared the complex open with a stirring speech and toast to the School. Students played a key role in the celebrations with representation from Prefects and performances by the Jazz Ensemble, Pipe Band, Premier Squash Teams and Tibbs House students.
This new Pavilion replaced the original one, located a little to the north. The original Sports Pavilion and Changing Rooms on the Upper Ground, just to the south of where the three O Rooms had been located, was opened by the Old Boys’ Association on 25 September 1954. The opening ceremony was performed by Mr. E. Earle Vaile, who had entered the School in 1878. The building was a gift from the Old Boys to commemorate the 75th Jubilee of the School in 1944 but was demolished to make room in 2006.
Changing Rooms under Old Boys’ Pavilion were opened on 28 January 2010 by then Headmaster John Morris. Richard Adams ’71, the then President of the Old Boys’ Association, presided over the function, during which the main lounge in the Pavilion was named the ‘Burnett Room’ in memory of Noel Burnett, whose Trust had made the lead donation towards the cost of the Pavilion.
The Hockey Pavilion overlooks the School’s Hockey Turf and opens to a spectator balcony with views over the turf and the No. 3 field (the artificial turf).
The Lower Pavilion, overlooking the Cricket grounds, includes changing facilities, a storeroom for gear and equipment as well as a social room where sport teams can entertain and a kitchenette.
Click here to book the sporting pavilions.